http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/564956/201103032018/Rip-Van
-Clinton.htm

Rip Van Clinton

 Posted 03/03/2011 08:18 PM ET

War On Terror: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is complaining that Iran
is subverting the upheavals in the Middle East. So what else has been new
for the last 30 years? And what have we been doing about it?

To hear Clinton talk, you would think that the Islamofascists who control
Iran were like those gamblers Claude Rains told Humphrey Bogart he was
"Shocked! Shocked!" to discover in "Casablanca."

She told the Senate Appropriations Committee on Wednesday that the Iranians
are "doing everything they can to influence the outcomes" in nations now in
or near states of instability.

This includes using Hezbollah, the Lebanese terror group that it funds, to
communicate with Palestinians, who then pass the messages on to those of
like mind in Egypt.

Tehran is also in communication with dissidents in the Persian Gulf island
monarchy of Bahrain, Clinton said, as well as being "very much involved"
with opponents of the government of the Republic of Yemen.

"They have a very active diplomatic foreign policy outreach," according to
the secretary of state, in a remark that might or might not have been meant
as a witty understatement.

Iran's "foreign policy outreach" has since the Khomeini revolution of more
than three decades ago ranged from training Pakistan's Taliban to sending
hundreds of Revolutionary Guard Corps into neighboring Iraq to kill U.S.
troops. Why should it be the help Tehran gives the Muslim Brotherhood in
Egypt or the Islamist elements in Yemen that make us wake up and take
notice?

Last week Clinton called on the United Nations Human Rights Council in
Geneva to investigate rights abuses in Iran. That will sure send a chill
down the spines of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the Ayatollah Khamenei.

According to the former first lady, "every member of this council should ask
him or herself a simple question: Why do people have the right to live free
from fear in Tripoli, but not Tehran?"

But Clinton - and indeed President Obama - could have, and should have, been
asking themselves that question two years ago when they started the new jobs
the American people bestowed upon them.

People have the right to live free everywhere. But the U.S. can't help
everyone everywhere gain their freedom - we have to pick and choose.

Shouldn't we make it our priority, though, to help the people living under a
regime that may soon threaten us with nuclear weapons?

That would be the right kind of influence.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.