http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/id.8890/pub_detail.asp

March 4, 2011

Did Muslim Lobby Force Firing of Popular Radio Host?

 <http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/authors/id.5/author_detail.asp> Cliff
Kincaid

Washington, D.C. radio station  <http://www.wmal.com/> WMAL is once again
being accused of firing a popular talk-show host because of his criticism of
radical Muslims. The station, a major source of news and information for the
nation's capital, claims that popular morning host Fred Grandy resigned on
his own, but Grandy tells AIM that he was essentially forced to leave after
his wife, who is also outspoken about radical Islam, was cut from the
program.

The growing controversy over Grandy's departure has resulted in some Grandy
supporters charging the station with being "Sharia-compliant," a reference
to Islamic law, and with bending under pressure from the Council on American
Islamic-Relations (CAIR), a Muslim lobbying organization that combats what
it calls "Islamophobia" in the media.

Grandy, a former actor and Republican member of Congress, told AIM, "My wife
and I have used our program over the last several months to warn about the
spread of radical Islam at home and abroad. Last week, Catherine (known on
the show as Mrs. Fred) delivered a very tough indictment against stealth
jihad, and for her efforts she was told she was off the show. I then told
management without Mrs. Fred at the microphone, I could not remain either
and have resigned effective this morning."

A WMAL statement, which makes no mention of terminating "Mrs. Fred," was
released on Thursday and claimed that "Fred Grandy has informed WMAL of his
intention to resign from the station and its morning program, The Grandy
Group. Veteran broadcast talent Bryan Nehman will continue to anchor the
morning program and in the interim will be joined by several notable guest
hosts and regular contributors. The station's morning show will also
continue to provide the latest news, traffic and weather reports to its
audience. WMAL remains committed to its goal of providing a forum for
discussing a broad spectrum of issues while delivering compelling
programming including Chris Plante, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Mark
Levin."

The statement on the Grandy matter was read on the air by another WMAL host,
Chris Plante, who said that his broadcast opposition to radical Islam has
not been curtailed in any way.

Grandy told AIM, "We cannot affirmatively conclude CAIR or any of the
prominent Islamic organizations had anything to do with this. We do know,
however, in 2005 representatives of CAIR in DC were successful in getting
midmorning host Michael Graham fired for anti-Islamic statements he had made
on the radio and TV."

Graham was fired from WMAL after describing Islam as a "terrorist
organization" on his program and refusing to apologize or modify the
description.

James Lafferty of the
<http://virginiaantisharia.blogspot.com/2011/03/americas-first-shariah-compl
iant-radio.html> Virginia Anti-Shariah Task Force, who insists that Grandy
was "forced to walk away" from his program after the banning of his wife
from the show, blames the controversy on CAIR. "CAIR frequently criticized
Grandy for reading FBI reports and court documents on his radio show which
labeled CAIR as 'an unindicted co-conspirator' in the federal Holy Land
Foundation terror finance trial," Lafferty said.

But CAIR Communications Director Ibrahim Hooper acted surprised by the news
of Grandy's resignation and responded, "What is their evidence for that
claim?," when informed that his group was being blamed for his departure.

Lafferty told AIM, "I heard from two very good sources that CAIR was
involved in this and not only targeting Grandy but Sean Hannity." He said
CAIR's strategy was to knock Grandy off the air and then go after Hannity, a
nationally syndicated radio host carried by WMAL in the afternoon. Hannity
also hosts a Fox News Channel TV show.

Lafferty has urged supporters of the Grandys to protest on Monday, March 7,
and Tuesday, March 8, during "Call Out WMAL Days." He wants the public to
call WMAL at (202) 895-2350 and (202) 686-3100 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. each of
those days and tell the station, "you will not listen to their station until
Fred and Mrs. Fred Grandy return."

"America expects radio stations to be committed to free speech and the
truth," he says. "We expect WMAL to grow a backbone and stand up to CAIR and
the other radicals. Call early and often."

At 10 a.m. Wednesday, March 9, Lafferty wants supporters of the Grandys to
meet at WMAL's studios (4400 Jenifer St., NW, Washington, DC 20015) with
signs "to demonstrate our support for Fred Grandy and his wife and their
courageous stand against radical Islam."

 <http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/> FamilySecurityMatters.org
Contributing Editor
<http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/authors/id.5/author_detail.asp> Cliff
Kincaid is the Editor of Accuracy in Media, and can be contacted at
<mailto:cliff.kinc...@aim.org> cliff.kinc...@aim.org.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.