09/01/2011 04:31 PM

Islamic Justice in Europe

'It's Often a Dictate of Power'

Using Sharia law to settle disputes can be innocent, but it can also
undermine Western ideas of fairness. Journalist Joachim Wagner, author of a
new book on parallel justice, discusses the influence of Islamic arbitrators
on Germany's legal system.

SPIEGEL: Mr. Wagner, you spent nine months researching the Islamic shadow
justice system. What kind of a world is it?

Wagner: Very foreign, and for a German lawyer, completely incomprehensible
at first. It follows its own rules. The Islamic arbitrators aren't
interested in evidence when they deliver a judgment, and unlike in German
criminal law, the question of who is at fault doesn't play much of a role.

SPIEGEL: What laws do the arbitrators follow?

Wagner: First, they get an idea of the facts. They talk with the
perpetrator's family, who are generally the ones to have called the
arbitrator, and with the victim's family. They ask: Why did this happen? How
bad is the damage? How serious is the injury? But for them, a solution to
the conflict, a compromise, is the most important thing. Who's right and
wrong, guilt and atonement, these aren't particularly relevant.

SPIEGEL: What's wrong with two parties attempting to resolve a dispute
between themselves?

Wagner: Nothing, initially. The problem starts when the arbitrators force
the justice system out of the picture, especially in the case of criminal
offenses. At that point they undermine the state monopoly on violence.
Islamic conflict resolution in particular, as I've experienced it, is often
achieved through violence and threats. It's often a dictate of power on the
part of the stronger family.

SPIEGEL: How prevalent is the phenomenon?

Wagner: As far as I know, very prevalent. There are no reliable statistics,
since these mediations take place almost exclusively in secret. But criminal
investigators who specialize in organized crime and violence within Muslim
immigrant families have confirmed for me that in nearly every conflict in
this milieu, the first attempt is to find a solution outside the German
justice system.

SPIEGEL: You write that Islamic arbitration poses a threat to the
constitutional legal system. Why?

Wagner: These arbitrators try to resolve conflicts according to Islamic law
and to sideline German criminal law. We see witness testimony withdrawn
(from German courts) and accusations trivialized to the point where an
entire case runs aground. The justice system is "powerless," partly because
it hasn't tackled the problem vigorously enough.

SPIEGEL: Some reports from judges and public prosecutors in your book sound
like a cry for help.

Wagner: They're overwhelmed, because they don't know how to react. They're
in the middle of a legal case, and suddenly there's no evidence.
Eighty-seven percent of the cases I researched either were dismissed or
ended with an acquittal when Islamic arbitrators were involved.

SPIEGEL: How can we combat this shadow justice system?

Wagner: Prosecutors need to investigate Islamic arbitrators more
intensively. If they had done so sooner, the arbitrators would have been
convicted of obstruction of justice long ago. And certain lawyers need to
stop behaving as if they were mere servants to a parallel justice system.
They allow themselves to be directed by their clients' desires, regardless
of truth and justice. And finally, my plea would be for judges to hear
witnesses earlier, which would reduce the arbitrators' influence.

*       http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,783843,00.html

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.