<http://www.nypost.com/> Description: Description: New York PostUpdated:
Mon., Sep. 5, 2011, 4:27 AM Description: Description: home

Boosting only illegal labor

By ABBY WISSE SCHACHTER

Last Updated: 4:27 AM, September 5, 2011< /o>

How badly have interest-group politics distorted Obama administration
economic policy? Well, the Labor Department is now zealously protecting the
workplace rights of illegal aliens even as it shuts down avenues for people
to come to America and work legally.

You see, Labor Secretary Hilda Solis has to serve both the liberals'
ideological fixation on illegals and labor unions' hostility to any
competition.

So there she was at a signing ceremony last Monday, declaring, "No matter
how you got here or how long you plan to stay, you have certain rights. You
have the right to be safe and in a healthy workplace and the right to a
legal wage... [This is part of] our shared commitment to protect the labor
rights of migrant workers."

Questioned later about whether she meant to include illegal workers, she was
adamant. "I protect all workers here in this country," she told a Daily
Caller reporter. "I have a vested interest in protecting all workers that
work here in the US -- period."

The terrible irony about Solis' support for workers here illegally is her
department's distaste for legal workers.

Almost Solis' first act on becoming labor secretary in 2009 was to stop the
streamlining of the visa-application process for temporary agricultur al
workers (visa category H2-A). Farmers who depend on seasonal migrant workers
were livid: Solis' change has (quite predictably) skyrocketed the cost -- in
both time and money -- of getting an already-limited number of legal migrant
workers.

More recently, she's moved against the other category of temporary visas,
those for non-agricultural workers (H2-B), affecting such industries as
hospitality, landscaping and seafood. The Labor Department has long mandated
what employers can pay temporary workers -- but its new rules for how to
calculate the "prevailing wage" will force wages up dramatically. In some
industries, the rules mandate increases as high as 50 percent and even 70
percent.

Business will suffer. Robert White, who employs 20 H2-B workers at Frog
Island Seafood Co. in Barco, NC, says the wage increase "would devastate
us... We're barely surviving on what we pay them now."

Meanwhile, the American Nursery Landscape Association says landscapers using
H2-B visas should "expect to pay increases of 40 to 70 percent." The ANLA
adds that this increase "poses an extreme hardship on program users, who are
already locked into contracts and cannot easily absorb, or pass on, these
bureaucratically driven wage increases."

Behind the tougher prevailing-wage rules, of course, are labor unions --
which constantly seek to drive up the cost of non-union labor. By use of
political pressure, they often get governments to set the "prevailing" wage
above what union workers actually get.

"When was the last time you heard about a government program that was both
effective and popular?" asks Tamar Jacoby, president of Immigration Works
USA. But that's just what the H2-B program was, effective and popular. Now,
Jacoby laments, "Instead of strengthening the legal programs, [the Labor
Department] is making things harder."

Abby Wisse Schachter blogs at Capitol Punishment (nypost.com/blogs/capitol).

 <mailto:awschach...@nypost.com> awschach...@nypost.com

NEW YORK POST is a registered trad emark of NYP Holdings, Inc.

nypost.com , nypostonline.com , and newyorkpost.com are trademarks of NYP
Holdings, Inc.

Copyright 2011 NYP Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.
<http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/boosting_only_ill
egal_labor_bmGaUvREgO3dxKMC3tAM2I> Privacy |
<http://%0d%0a%20/www.nypost.com/f/print/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/boostin
g_only_illegal_labor_bmGaUvREgO3dxKMC3tAM2I> Terms of Use

Read more:
<http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/boosting_only_illegal_l
abor_bmGaUvREgO3dxKMC3tAM2I#ixzz1X5w8hgfQ>
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/boosting_only_illegal_la
bor_bmGaUvREgO3dxKMC3tAM2I#ixzz1X5w8hgfQ

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.