Hi
I am new to this list, if my question is out of place please refer me to
the right forum!

I was told that routing engines can be forced to use predefined route types
(I am interested in walking routes), by giving very high weight to ways if
they are a member element of a walking route relation.

This would have to be profile dependant, I guess. I'm just an end user, and
the OSM routing services I know do not offer the option to route along
walking routes. At the same time I see other routing services ("Walking
route planners") offering this option even with a choice of which types of
walking routes to include.

Is this a matter of changing the engine e.g. to enable the use of relation
membership in a routing profile? Is it a matter of changing the routing
profile and should the service provider start use the existing
possiblilities and offer the options to the users? Or can I as a user alter
this somehow?

Fr gr Peter Elderson