Hi Gary,

I am glad you are enjoying ossec so far, rest inline..

On 6/26/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I want to receive an alert whenever there is software installed on the
> Windows 2003 box so I can see if updates etc are installed properly and no
> one puts any unauthorised programs on the server.

Good idea... Not all programs are going to generate events (specially if they
use different installers), but as a policy violation measure it is pretty good.

> The Windows Msi installer events are information events seem to all have
> Event IDs like: 117xx. I've tried the following to get it working, but no
> luck yet.
>
> In msauth_rules.xml it has the following:
>
>   <rule id="18101" level="0">
>     <if_sid>18100</if_sid>
>     <status>^INFORMATION</status>
>     <description>Windows informational event.</description>
>   </rule>
>
> Since I'm after information events and the level of the above rule is 0, I
> figured it would drop the event and go no further, so I put the following
> in the local_rules.xml
>

> <group name="local,windows,">
>
>   <rule id="18101" level="1" overwrite="yes">
>     <if_sid>18100</if_sid>
>     <status>^INFORMATION</status>
>     <description>Windows informational event.</description>
>   </rule>

Sounds correct to me, but you don't need to set the level to 1 in here
for your other rule
to work. However, for debugging it is good. Are you getting every
informational event on
/var/ossec/logs/alerts/alerts.log?

>   <!-- Trying to alert Windows application installations. -->
>   <rule id="100101" level="8">
>         <if_sid>18101</if_sid>
>         <id>^117</id>
>         <description>Windows Installation Activity</description>
>   </rule>
>
> </group>
>
> Am I going about this the right way or is there something else I need to
> do?

Looks like you are doing it correctly. Look at the alerts.log and you should be
getting now every windows informational log too. If it is not, try
sending a couple
of log samples for us to take a look.

> Also, when I edit the rules or the configuration files, do I need to
> restart the server and/or agent? I've been restarting the server, because
> what I understand from the wiki is that the server sends new rules out to
> the agents.

You only need to restart the server. The agent does no log parsing...

> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> -GP

hope it helps.

--