Hi Peter,

If you just want to change the severity, just copy the rule to local_rules.xml
and set 'overwrite = "yes"', and the original one will be changed. This feature
is not well documented, but this presentation explains it a bit:

http://www.ossec.net/ossec-docs/auscert-2007-dcid.pdf

Also here:
http://www.ossec.net/ossec-list/2007-March/msg00079.html

example (to overwrite rule 1002):

<rule id ="1002" level = "10" overwrite="yes">
..
</rule>

or:

<rule id="1002" level="8" overwrite="yes">
<match>Segmentation|XYZ</match>
<description>Rule 1002 overwriten.  </description>
</rule>

Hope it helps.

--
Daniel B. Cid