Hi Martin,

Thanks for the additional information. I was able to reproduce the
behavior and fix the problem inside ossec. You
can try with the following package to see if the problem persists.

http://www.ossec.net/files/snapshots/ossec-hids-071218.tar.gz

The issue is that ossec tries to remove duplicated syslog messages
(same log from different files), but it was not taking the pid in
consideration, so all the following messages were being considered the
same.

sshd[12440]: Invalid user apache from 203.250.179.11
sshd[12448]: Invalid user apache from 203.250.179.11
sshd[12456]: Invalid user apache from 203.250.179.11

It should be fixed now.

Thanks,

--
Daniel B. Cid