Hi Dan,

What kernel version are you using? On old kernel versions it used to have a
bug that if you
attempted to read a file in the /sys directory the kernel would crash.

When syscheck/rootcheck tried to scan the file system it would read that
file and crash
the server. Not an OSSEC bug, but triggered that issue on the kernel.

If you have an old 2.6 kernel version, my recommendation is to update it or
to add
<ignore>/sys</ignore> to the rootcheck and syscheck sections.

Thanks,

--
Daniel B. Cid
dcid ( at ) ossec.net