Thanks, that helps!

I guess I still have the issue that <hostname>snort01|snort02</hostname> is not
working for the second hostname (ie. alerts are being fired still.)

________________________________
From: ossec-list@googlegroups.com [mailto:ossec-l...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of oscar schneider
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 4:54 AM
To: ossec-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [ossec-list] Local Rules Syntax

No what he is trying to say is that you do not push the rules to the agents,
only configs. This is because the rules are not needed by the agents. The rules
are only used by the ossec-analysisd, which doesnt run on agents, but on the
server only.

The ossec.conf and agent.conf are also read by agent side daemons, e.g.
syscheck and logcollector.

On the agent side, for log analysis only the following things happen:
1. ossec-logcollector reads ossec.conf and agent.conf. From there it extracts
the locations of files it needs to monitor.
2. Every time one of these logfiles get a new log entry, logcollector will
notice and write it to a socket.
3. ossec-agentd forwards the contents of that socket to the server.

The server will do the following:
1. ossec-analysisd reads decoder.xml and all rule files as specified in
ossec.conf
2. When remoted receives a message from an agent, it forwards that message to
analysisd
3. Analysisd runs predecoder (hard coded afaik), the appropriate decoder (as
defined in decoder.xml) and then starts rule matching, i.e. compares the output
of the decoding phase with the rules. Analysisd maybe has to consider a rule
chain, e.g. if a decoded message matches rule 1000, rule 1001 has
<if_sid>1000</if_sid> and matches also then 1001 would be returned instead of
stopping at 1000.
4. After determining the final rule that is matches, an alert is generated. If
specified by the rules options and alert level e.g. an active response or email
notification.

As you can see, the rules are not pushed. They are not necessary on the agent
side at all.

Changing the local_rules.xml at the server and restarting the server should
suffice.

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Jefferson, Shawn