Hey,

You can tar/untar from another box because the user/init scripts will
be missing.
The best way is to compile on another box and create a binary install:

http://www.ossec.net/wiki/Know_How:BinaryInstall

That way you still run the install.sh to create users, set permissions for you
but it will use the binary compiled from the other system.

Thanks,

--
Daniel B. Cid
dcid ( at ) ossec.net