Le 03/05/2012 16:52, A-Dubbs a écrit :
In which file would I create level 0 rules at your prescribe wouldn't
trigger alerts and wouldn't be log anything in alerts.log? In Dan
(ddp)'s first reply in this thread, he advised me ( I'm brand new to
OSSEC but really trying here!!!) to not modify the msauth_rules.xml
file. I pretty much understand why after he explained why I shouldn't,
but I don't see any other place but the msauth_rules.xml file to lower
the level on some of these low-to-mid level alerts on the file so they
won't trigger alerts in alerts.log file. For example, when a windows
workstation's system account logs onto the domain controller,
WINDOWS_LOGIN_SUCCESS,  or a user logon on, AUDIT_SUCCESS), I don't
think should see OSSEC triggering an alert on my system.

Every rule you want to update or create have to be in /var/ossec/rules/local_rules.xml.

Either overwrite existing rule to decrease its level to zero, eg:

    <rule id="18107" level="0" overwrite="yes">
            <description>Ignoring Windows Logoff.</description>
            <match>^WinEvtLog: Security: AUDIT_SUCCESS</match>
    </rule>

or create your own new rule (id>1000000) to remove certain false positive alerts, eg:

  <rule id="100002" level="0">
        <if_sid>1002</if_sid>
        <program_name>snmptrapd</program_name>
<description>Ignoring unknown problem somewhere in the system for snmptrapd</description>
    </rule>

Everything is detailed in the documentation.
Don't forget to load local_rules.xml in ossec.conf

--
Cheers,
Florian Crouzat