Hi OSSECers,

I've recently been working with Splunk dashboarding (using the Splunk for
OSSEC app as a starting point).

One of the features I've expanded is the 'top severities list', where I've
named the severities according to the Rules Classification documentation (
http://ossec-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/manual/rules-decoders/rule-levels.html
)

What I've noticed is that the 'Integrity Checksum Changed' signature is
coming in as Severity 7 (Bad Word Match), and looking into the rules I can
see that reflected, and the only thing I see at sev "11" are the IDS rules.

Below are relevant sections in the rules in OSSEC 2.8.1.  Is it correct
that rule id 510 has level="7"?  I'm going to change it 10 11 in my local
config, but it'd be good to know the intentions of this if it's not an
oversight.

rules/ids_rules.xml
 <rule id="510" level="7">
    <if_sid>509</if_sid>
    <description>Host-based anomaly detection event (rootcheck).</description>
    <group>rootcheck,</group>
    <if_fts />
  </rule>

rules/ids_rules.xml
  <!-- This rule is to detect bad configured IDSs alerting on
     - the same thing all the time. We will skip those events
     - since they became just noise.
     -->
  <rule id="20161" level="11" frequency="3" timeframe="3800">
    <if_matched_sid>20151</if_matched_sid>
    <same_source_ip />
    <same_id />
    <ignore>srcip, id</ignore>
    <description>Multiple IDS events from same source ip </description>
    <description>(ignoring now this srcip and id).</description>
  </rule>

  <rule id="20162" level="11" frequency="3" timeframe="3800">
    <if_matched_sid>20152</if_matched_sid>
    <same_id />
    <ignore>id</ignore>
    <description>Multiple IDS alerts for same id </description>
    <description>(ignoring now this id).</description>
  </rule>

Thanks!