On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 1:46:15 PM UTC-5, LostInThe Tubez wrote:

> On the OSSEC server, open /var/ossec/rules/syslog_rules.xml. Search for
> rule 1002, right there towards the top. Note the options element, which
> contains alert_by_email. That option tells OSSEC to ignore your
> email_alert_level and just send an email every time this rule matches.  As
> you have seen, rule 1002 is a catch-all heuristics rule that attempts to
> identify problems in logs based on certain keywords.

Thank you, that explains why level 2 alerts are generating the emails for
the "BAD_WORDS". I was under the impression that the default level of 7 was
for all types of rules, but that is clear now.

I'm now left with the feeling of that is the main cause of these alerts
coming in, even though I have the filters in local_rules.xml, level 2
alerts are still coming in. Even when logtest shows that it should stop.
Here is another simple example of a local_rule working for logtest, but
still generating email alerts .

/var/ossec/rules/local_rules.xml
  <rule id="100010" level="0">
    <program_name>accelerator</program_name>
    <regex>Update peer failed with code 22</regex>
    <description>Ignore Expand Warnings</description>
  </rule>

/var/ossec/bin/ossec-logtest
2015/11/25 19:15:23 ossec-testrule: INFO: Reading local decoder file.
2015/11/25 19:15:24 ossec-testrule: INFO: Started (pid: 6713).
ossec-testrule: Type one log per line.

Nov 25 19:11:45 x.x.x.x accelerator[4124]:     Update peer failed with code
22.

**Phase 1: Completed pre-decoding.
       full event: 'Nov 25 19:11:45 x.x.x.x accelerator[4124]:     Update
peer failed with code 22.'
       hostname: 'x.x.x.x'
       program_name: 'accelerator'
       log: '    Update peer failed with code 22.'

**Phase 2: Completed decoding.
       No decoder matched.

**Phase 3: Completed filtering (rules).
       Rule id: '100010'
       Level: '0'

So, even though logtest shows it will be a Level: '0', I still get an email
alert as:

Rule: 1002 fired (level 2) -> "Unknown problem somewhere in the system."