Hi,

Archives functionality is designed to log everything (all the events, be
alerts or not), I think is pretty normal that this file grows so much if
you have a large environment.

I can't see a way to make OSSEC rotate the file more than daily (or split
it), if you want to split the file with an external application (like
logrotate), maybe that works, I just test it and OSSEC does not complain if
you modify alerts.log or archives.log.
Anyway be aware of not deleting *archives.log* symlink or
*archives/year/month/ossec-archives-day.log,* OSSEC won't register any
events until next day.

Regards,

Pedro S.