Hi Abhi.

OSSEC counters were designed to avoid a repetition attack and consists on
numbering messages from agents and manager. The manager has a file "
/var/ossec/queue/rids/sender_counter" where stores its own counter. Just as
the server checks the agent counter, the agent also checks the manager
counter. Every machine (agents and manager) only accepts a message if its
counter is greater than the stored number.

In this case, if you migrated your manager but you didn't copy the rids
folder, the following occurred:

   - Since the agents' counters didn't exist, the manager expected a
   message numbered from 0. If it received the number "1000" (for example), it
   toke it as correct and updated the agent's counter file.
   - But agents kept the manager's counter (for example, 500). The manager
   started to number its own messages from 0. When it tried to send the
   connection confirmation message to the agent, this one rejected the message
   because the counter was lower than the stored counter. If you'd do nothing,
   some later time the manager would reach the counter 500 and could connect
   with agents.

I recommend you copy the file "/var/ossec/queue/rids/sender_counter" from
the manager to a new instance the next time you migrate a server. On the
other hand, you can also delete the agents' counter folder.

Kind regards.

Victor Fernandez.