I am attempting to forward OSSEC logs to a SIEM via syslog. Recommended
configuration in the documentation is:

  <syslog_output>
    <server>192.168.4.1</server>
  </syslog_output>

The SIEM recognizes json format on port 5500 so I've configured logs to
that formatted and set the configuration as:

<syslog_output>
  <server>172.27.212.243</server>
  <port>5500</port>
  <format>json</format>
</syslog_output>

When I save this and try to start the services the following error is
generated:

Starting OSSEC HIDS v2.9.0 (by Trend Micro Inc.)...
OSSEC analysisd: Testing rules failed. Configuration error. Exiting.

/var/ossec/bin/ossec-logtest returns the following:

2017/03/21 18:50:55 ossec-testrule(1230): ERROR: Invalid element in the
configuration: 'syslog_output'.
2017/03/21 18:50:55 ossec-testrule(1202): ERROR: Configuration error at
'/var/ossec/etc/ossec.conf'. Exiting.
If I comment out the syslog configuration services start as expected.

Thank you,

Marc Baker