Dan,

All my regex experience comes from Perl. It's clear this regex does things a bit differently than how I expected. In Perl \.+ means only match 1 or more periods.

Another difference I've discovered is that Perl's regex is greedy -- it'll match all it can. It looks like this regex will only match the least number of characters it can. If I understand the difference correctly, \.+ in this regex would be .+? in Perl.

In Perl, [0-9A-Fx]+ means match one or more from the following set: 0 through 9, A through F and x. I guess that's done differently here. :)

Thanks for helping me understand this better.