Hi all,

I think that the issue you referred is not the cause of this problem: it
will write the merged.mg as a binary file but this shouldn't matter because
OSSEC and Wazuh performs the shared file (merged.mg) MD5 as a text file, so
the hash should match.

As I said before IMHO the issue affects to Windows and UNIX agents but it's
more common in Windows because the default buffer is shorter. We had this
problem with a Windows agent on a private VirtualBox network: the shared
file didn't arrive. With debugging enabled, we saw the message:

ossec-agent: Failed md5 for: merged.mg -- deleting.

So we did this test: we modified the source code to prevent file from being
deleted although it was corrupted, and compared the received file with the
original one: some chunks of the file were indeed lost, it was not a line
ending issue.

Shared file chunks may be lost due to the UDP protocol, as well as any
other agent event or control message. In fact using TCP seems to be a good
solution for this problem. We implemented TCP communication in Wazuh a year
ago from version 1.1 and we reached some advantages:

   - No event losing. Communication is reliable for events, control
   messages and Active response requests.
   - Agents detect that a manager is down immediately, so they are able to
   "lock" the transmission in order to prevent events from being dropped.

Agents with TCP connection are working properly in many systems using
Linux, Windows, OpenBSD, macOS, AIX, etc.

Best regards.