Hi,

this problem is not new to me and I mainly ignore it but now I thought
to tackle it again since I moved to a new server and installed
ossec-server using the atomicorp debian packages.

I have a fairly default use case and have a ossec server with one agent
attached to it. I also have active response enabled using the default
scripts. This is all working. Where I have a problem is the active
response logfile. In particular the way time and date is logged to the file.

I installed ossec on this server on Feb 16 and the format is as I expected:
Sat Feb 16 14:11:29 CET 2019 /var/ossec/active-response/...

But after upgrading the server from debian stable to testing the output
changed:
Sat Apr  6 12:19:14 CEST 2019 /var/ossec/active-response/...
Sat 06 Apr 2019 12:39:54 PM CEST /var/ossec/active-response/...

I just noticed this now and I looked up the locale configuration for
root and it was set to en_US.UTF-8 which is not what I want. So I
changed the default system locale to C.UTF-8. After restarting ossec the
output of the ar scripts hasn't changed. I logged out and logged in as
root again to verify that the date output is as I want and yes it is:
Fri Apr 19 19:38:34 CEST 2019

So my question is where does the process that triggers active response
gets its locale from? How can I change that so I get a 24h time format
not the AM/PM format.

Normally I would ignore it but I have a script that gathers the number
of active responses for a given time period and it needs to parse the
date and time from the logfile reliably.

Regards
Christian