Group,

Here is a very brief status/roadmap on the project.
If anyone has any specific questions please just
ask.  I was out sick for the last two days, and I
am just catching up with my email.

(i)  OpenConnector is currently separated into 5
subprojects.  All projects, except the CalDAV
server work is be C++.  The goal is reach
early-beta code in each, especially the service
providers.

1. MAPI Message Store Service Provider
2. MAPI Transport Service Provider
3. BClient - POP/IMAP/NNTP/CalDAV client library
4. CalDAV Server
5. SapiMapi MAPI Testing Utility

1. Message Store - The message store is the DLL
library responsible for how Outlook stores your
email on your local disk.  Our version of the
DLL loads and is recognized as a message store
by Outlook currently.  The next immediate goal
is to get multiple versions of this provider
loadable in memory ( small task ), and flesh
out the remaining interfaces. iMessage
interface, iTable and various other interfaces
still have to be written.  A configuration
gui has to be done.  There are still lots of
stub interfaces remaining, but the good news
is that since the framework has been done, I
don't forsee much difficulty in getting those
done.

2. Transport Provider - I'm not even sure I
checked in this code yet, but I started on the
framework for this DLL.  The actual code will
be in the message store DLL.  The transport
service provider interface is what Outlook
needs to connect to remote services like email
servers and calendar servers.  The transport
service provider is a lot smaller than the
message store provider, and even then much is
in handling the network protocols ( see BClient ).

3. BClient is our attempt at separating the
network protocol code from OpenConnector.
Originally, OpenConnector had a cool plugin
system that allowed for drop-in protocol
handlers, but although the proof-of-concept
worked, this approached required too much code
for our small group.  So we scale back to
hand-coded backends.  Still, for at least
some flexibility, bclient abstracts the
implementation of the separate protocols
allowing possibily alternate implemenations
of the network protocols.  The current code
began as a port from a UNIX only email client.
Work is needed to continue the work of
porting the current code to Win32/C++ and
to add support for CalDAV

4. CalDAV server is what I'm spending much of
my time on currently.  The goal is to extend a
WebDAV server to support the currently-in-
process CalDAV protocol.  Information will be
posted at http://openconnector.org/caldav/ .
This sub-project will be my focus for the next
few months.  Work just started on this.

5. Sapimapi is a utility, being developed alongst
side OpenConnector in order to help debug the
often difficult to debug MAPI DLLs.  This is
the lowest priority.  The utility has already
proven useful in displaying the contents of
properties and property tables whilst debugging.

(ii)  Without knowing any MAPI, the best place
to start would be with BClient.  The porting
process should continue, and also I've started
converting the library to an object-oriented
interface.

(iv) If you want to tackle MAPI head on then
the message store provider is probably the
best place to start.  Implementing IMAPITable
would be nice, IMessage interface also would
be good.

(v)  There is precious little time, and hence
documentation has suffered.  For now,  asking
on the list or emailing me directly may be the
way to go.

Thanks everyone for your continuing interest,
Kervin

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IntelliVIEW -- Interactive Reporting Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop reports. Save time by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to DOC, XLS, RTF, etc. Download a FREE copy at http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl _______________________________________________ otlkcon-devel mailing list otlkcon-devel@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/otlkcon-devel