Hello Eric,

The snapshot is old.  I've done quite a bit
since then.  Use CVS if you can.  I will make
another snapshot when I get the message store's
final interface additions ( a few methods in
IMsgStore and implementation of IMessage
interface ) for the 'Alpha1' build done.

Eric Osman wrote:

I am studying that source snapshot to try to learn the basics of building an outlook connector.

Hope it helps. What kind of Outlook connector are you planning on building?

For example:

.       What is needed for the minimal outlook connector ?  Is this
snapshot
        just minimal or is it minimal plus other pieces ?

Microsoft provides minimal connectors in MSDN somewhere. I am not sure about the license but they're out there.

At this stage, we have a *almost* completed,
alpha quality message store.  I figure
completion would take about a month or
thereabout.

. Is an outlook connector a dll that replaces other dll's that
outlook
already uses ?

Sought of. Outlook is a MAPI client. Microsoft provides MAPI service provider implementations for its MAPI client. We are replacing those service provider implementations with our own. So yes, OpenConnector replaces MS DLLs with its own.

Or is it a listening socket on an agreed number
that
        outlook connects to ?  Is there a particular registry entry that
tells
        outlook what dll or socket to connect to ?

.       Is there a good article or book that explains these things ?

You need... (i) The MAPI reference book on MSDN. - Just search http://msdn.microsoft.com/

(ii) Inside MAPI. http://insidemapi.com/

So far, from just perusing the code in the snapshot, the answers to
these basics aren't clear, so if any of you have pointers to info about
the above matters, I'd appreciate it.

It probably wouldn't be. I try to keep the code clear, but MAPI is convoluted and not completely documented. You'd probably be better of reading the docs.

Good luck,
Kervin