Tyler, thanks so much for your detailed information.  As I don't want
tickets that have *just* been created to have the answered = 1 I believe the
option of changing AgentCompose.pm makes more sense.  I've located the
following lines and will list a couple of ways in which I have attempted to
change them.   I've seen absolutely no change in the operation of the
AgentCompose screen.  Perhaps you can offer a quick pointer or two?

Original:
        # set answerd
        $Self->{TicketObject}->TicketSetAnswered(
            TicketID => $Self->{TicketID},
            UserID => $Self->{UserID},
            Answered => $GetParam{Answered} || 0,
        );
I've tried changing the 'Answered' line in the following ways (Sorry about
my COMPLETE ignorance regarding perl programming!!!!)

Answered => '1' || 0,
Answered => '8' || 0, (a non-zero and non-one value)
Answered => 1 || 0,
Answered => 0 || 1,
Etc...

Thanks in advance...