I am using OTRS with SMTPTLS to send all email to an outbound mail relay
(postfix) and this is working perfectly.  However, I am unable to locate where
the logs are being stored.

Normally, /var/log/mail, or wherever syslog puts the mail.* entries. See
/etc/syslog.conf.

Also, if by some chance my outbound relay isn't operating as expected, OTRS
does not appear to be queueing the emails the way I would expect (like postfix
does).

Working as designed. A MTA does queuing, not the application.

What is OTRS using to send mail?  Can I make it use postfix?  OS is Debian.

Consider using something a little less weird than postfix (exim comes to mind)
but yes, that's the desired setup.

See https://otrs.github.io/doc/manual/admin/3.2/en/html/email-settings.html for
details for at least one version.