Actually, one thought (with the new version pulled from the CVS)
enable error messages:

(For the script version with goes to the command line)
/opt/owfs/bin/owfs --foreground --error_level=9 -u /mnt/1wire

Then on another screen run the previous script

while:  ;.... to blink

At least we'll see what is causing the problem.

Paul