On Monday 19 December 2005 12:02 am, Info wrote:
> Is there any documentation of the protocol for the
> communication to/from Owserver?
> I was thinking it might be a good place to interface
> to/from a java virtual machine.
>
> Paul Hilton

Interesting question.

I take it you want to make your JVM talk to owserver?

The standard way is to link owlib into your program (you can use SWIG and the
rather simple interface design of owcapi, owperl, owphp), or owpython (more
object oriented) or owtcl (doesn't use SWIG). This allows you to hook into
any arrangement of owservers and direct adapters.

There is SWIG support of java.

I'll put some notes on the owserver protocol in the wiki, but the design was
predicated on having owlib machinery on both sides of the connection. Indeed,
owserver is only about 200 lines of code (excluding comments).

Paul Alfille