On 8/16/07, Paul Alfille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8/15/07, Bruce Almich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >  I saw your article on the sourceforge site (
> > http://owfs.sourceforge.net/WRT54G.html#hardware ).  I'm interested in
> > using the Linksys WRT54G in a remote access lab pod and need to absolutely
> > reset the box to factory settings at the end of the lab session.  The only
> > way I can find to absolutely do this with 100% certainty is to push that
> > annoying little button at the rear of the box (the web command does not
> seem
> > to work fully and if the student has changed the password the automation
> > system can't get to it anyway).  So I need to get a way to bring the
> > contacts for the switch out to a relay I can close under program control
> > accomplish the factory reset function.  I don't have a hardware schematic
> > the box but it seems that the reset switch is simply a grounding function
> > for a single contact.  It would seem that I could bring a pair of wires
> out
> > through the bottom of the box or mount a connector on it to do this.
> >
> Well, you know your setup best, but personally I'd just cheat.
>
> A second WRT54G is about $50. I'd just set that one up during your lab
> sessions (you can even clone the same MAC address) and swap it in during lab
> sessions, and out again for normal use.
>
> Paul Alfille

Hello!
Paul where are you getting your price figures? The regular WRT54G is
the one without Linux inside, its running WindRiver's annoying RTOS,
with no room for expansion, because the flash was chosen to contain
only the simple-minded WindRiver product.

However the WRT54GL unit which is over-priced at about 70 dollars by
CompUSA (Online not at stores for some stupid reason.) is the
version/model that your thinking of.

Ideally we'd be inclined to track around find one of those at the
price you've quoted.

I should also mention that there are some excellent articles on the
Open-WRT site for attaching gadgetry to the router, but not including
our ideas.

--
Gregg C Levine [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This signature was once found posting rude