Ok... I was almost sure that Whiterussian RC5 and 0.9 used the same libc and
kernel... But there are perhaps some changes between them anyway. This might
cause the crashes you have stumbled into.

Can you use the other repository which is compiled against the Whiterussian
0.9 source?
Update you /etc/ipkg.conf and add the URL:
http://owfs.sourceforge.net/openwrt/0.9/packages/

Those packages might work better for you... The latest version is 2.6p6-11
now.

/Christian