Greg:

Yes, we did the programming with a modified DS9490R.  We had to do two
things to make it program-capable:   Add an external VPP to the
correct PIN of the controller chip (had to lift the pin from the pad
it was on on the circuit board, attach a wire, etc) as well as ground;
and had to remove a chip containing a zener diode restricting the
onewire output voltage to no more than 8V.  I cited that chip in a
prior message.  It may be noteworthy that in this configuration, the
programming pulse on the onewire is 10.5V instead of 12, but it does
seem sufficient to program 2406+ (only device on bus).

We also have a pair of passive DS9097E's (DB25 passive interface with
external 12V input).  I was able to program using Dallas' windows
software, but not with OWFS.  With Dallas' software, I noticed I could
only program a byte or two at a time.  If I changed several bytes and
tried to write, only the first byte or two actually got burned.  In
nearly all cases, the software reported a failure to burn.

When I tried using this device with OWFS, it appeared that OWFS
detected it as a related device without programming capability, as any
attempts to write failed the same way the DS9490R did initially
(throwing a write error at the filesystem level).

Based on the problems I had with this interface in the windows world
with Dallas' software and my perceived uncommonness of the interface,
I didn't think it was worth pursuing programming with it.  If you're
interested, I can test though.

Oh, as a side note: I have not been able to make these devices work
with a USB->RS232 adapter; it seems to require an internal serial
port.

As to our application:  We're making sensors for a SmartHome sensor
network.  Currently, many of our sensors are based on the DS2406, and
we'd like to have a way for the device to identify what type of sensor
it is so our software knows how to talk and use it.  So we're using
the PROM to store sensor family and version information.  We're
currently using the OWperl interfaces in our software and OWFS (fuse)
for testing/debugging/experimenting by hand.

--Jim