Hello!
Okay here's how I understand these events.
Well before the idea of using a Linux (originally) based file system
arrangement to manage these devices came about, I ordered from Dallas
Semiconductor a single sample of the DS2406 part. That one has a
unique identity code who ends in (hex) 4D212.

Sometime later, and this when OWFS was starting to make itself better
known, call it around release 2.2p0 time period I ordered four of
these devices.

And the first part from its box ends in (hex) 0AD12.

Now I happen to know that the codes used by all One-Wire parts are as
unique as the MAC addresses used by Ethernet cards, and you can
typically identify whole groups of cards as a single maker simply by
checking a unique table to see who ordered what. (3COM is still my
favorite.)

But surely even the entire number should different? This is like
trying to match number plates, (license plates for us). Ideally the
chances of finding ones who have the same letters but hopefully
different numbers in a specific state's plates should be the kinds of
odds I associate with card playing.

Incidentally gang I've not given up on my DS2423 project, right now
that's on a break whilst I develop some leads, including a supply of
some special board connectors.

But on this subject I invite comments, and then an argument. Arguments
will be limited to five minutes per person.
--
Gregg C Levine [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"This signature was once found posting rude