Michael beat me to it...

We don't use the 2406's for switching at all; its all about detecting.
 I did not try the p8 build, but the 2.7p4 definately has the problem,
and 2.6p7 does not.  I tried to build the 2.7p8, but the gentoo ebuild
failed (something appears to have changed in the configure script),
and I haven't had the time to figure out what it is yet.

--Jim