Just some notice about the needed packages to compile all packages under
Ubuntu 8.10.  libusb++-dev is not needed.
You need the /usr/bin/php binary as well.

sudo apt-get install php5-cli

Every packages on the same row will be...
sudo apt-get install cvs autoconf automake libtool libfuse-dev libusb-dev
swig php5 php5-dev php5-cli python-dev libperl-dev tcl-dev

cvs -d:pserver:anonym...@owfs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/owfs login
#   (no password)
cvs -d:pserver:anonym...@owfs.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/owfs co owfs
cd owfs

# If libtool fails during the compilation, you need to overwrite
src/scripts/install/ltmain.sh with your own local libtool.
cp /usr/bin/libtool src/scripts/install/ltmain.sh
./bootstrap
./configure
make all install

/Christian