On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:35 PM, William Brown <mahi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Is there any way to determine if a DS9097U is attached at the hardware
> level?  I recently purchase 2 new serial adapters and connected to 2
> different computers that had previously used owfs and ds9097u adapter.
> 1 directly to RS232 serial port ttyS0 and 2nd to usb-serial adapter
> ttyUSB0.  Neither shows  any devices  with owhttpd or owdir.  The only
> difference is I have updated to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala).
>
> The other problems I'm encountering is that everything requires me to
> execute as root. Does this sound like an os version issue?

Partially. Debian, rather Ubuntu believes that everything the operator
does is at the user level. So even though they let the operator do the
install and create the Root account, they do not boot into it. It goes
straight into that user account, and you need to use the sudo
function.

That's just my opinion of course.

Are we talking about DS9097s and that they are connected to USB to
serial adapters? Or do you mean a system with a physical serial port?
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drw...@gmail.com