Hello!
I imagine we're still using mdns support on our programs. The releases
for Slackware never made it past the 10.1 sequence. Which is what I
expected as the site for them has practically ceased operations. I
don't know if this works for the distributions everyone else is using
but it worked here. I went to this website:
http://www.science.uva.nl/research/air/wiki/mDNSResponderInstallation
and followed the steps there. There is a location on the links for the
released code that's telling people what the most recent is. I found
an RC script elsewhere, in this series of steps:
https://trac.ci.uchicago.edu/accessgrid/browser/trunk/packaging/linux/slackware/SL-11.0/mDNSResponder/Slack.build?rev=6305

It's for 11 but that's okay, the rc.d method of doing things has
changed very little since 7.1 and naturally now. About all that has
happened is that the system is definitely on the 2.6 series of kernels
which means udev is the big ticket......

Paul which distribution are you using? Is it OpenSuse? Or FC? Or something else?
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drw...@gmail.com