> On 26 Jul 2016, at 10:18, Jan Kandziora <j...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> If I had to decide, I would take all the content of the web site, throw
> out all the out-of-date information and feed the rest into a Mediawiki,
> where you and others can maintain it yourself. Then shutdown the old
> website.

MediaWiki is dynamic (PHP+SQL), which means hosting and the need for a sysop,
responsible for maintenance and security.

Why not a static solution, with a push-to-publish approach? Examples are
https://readthedocs.org <https://readthedocs.org/> or https://pages.github.com
<https://pages.github.com/>.
Or more precisely, referring to the technology, and not the hosting service
Sphinx http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/
<http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/> (which is almost the standard in the
python world)
Jekyll https://jekyllrb.com <https://jekyllrb.com/>
But there are tons of other static site generators, more or less integrated
with a version control software system like git.

I think that a wiki makes sense if there are hundreds of contributors. For
smaller projects, maybe, a static approach is more manageable. Of course, for
getting started we need someone that builds the necessary scaffolding, before
one is able to contribute content (via pull requests). (And sorry, I have no
time to contribute to the project right now.)

BTW, who is responsible for owfs.org? On whois
https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=owfs.org
<https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=owfs.org> there is a registrant contact
that I never saw on this list...

Stefano