There is little bit of confusion.

The official OWFS bindings are

- OW.py, based on SWIG wrapping the C API of libow
- ownet.py, pure python owserver client

you will find both in debian packages

- python-ow, https://packages.debian.org/buster/python-ow
<https://packages.debian.org/buster/python-ow>
- python-ownet, https://packages.debian.org/buster/python-ownet
<https://packages.debian.org/buster/python-ownet>

My advice is to avoid the use of these packages with python3 (although python3
versions exist in debian) since they are not actively developed.

I’m the author of pyownet, a different package, which does not belong to the
official OWFS code base. It is documented at
<https://pyownet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
<https://pyownet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/>> and is available only on pypi.org
<http://pypi.org/> since, to my knowledge, it is not packaged by any major
linux distribution.

pyownet is actively mantained, and is perfectly compatible with both python3
(up from 3.3) and legacy python2 (2.7 only).

So if you “import pyownet” in your code you have to “pip install pyownet”. The
discussion in this thread is whether it is a good practice to “sudo pip install
pyownet” along the python packages distributed by debian. In my opinion you
should avoid this, and instead use a virtual environment, as I tried to explain
in my messages.

Bye

Stefano