OK I will log read times and see what that shows.

You say 'I also log if the error of the 1wire bus changes.' how do you do that?

No I don't really need to read that fast, this is just a test setup to get a better understanding so I can hopefully fine tune my main system.

There should not be anything else running.  I just tried running top at the same time, I monitored it at the point of the slow scan and didn't see anything else significant.

Mick