+ 1 on WiX. I personally hate it, but I can't deny that it's not powerful.
If you don't mind doing a lot of xml, then this is the most cost effective
option. Using commercial products has its benefits, obviously hiding a lot
of the complexity of creating installers, but also come with a price tag and
a learning curve of their own. Depending on your needs, it may be actually
more cost effective to buy rather than learning WiX.

- Steve