Thanks for the responses guys. We got what we needed through the Admin
WebServices - it has a method that allows you to create Sites
(CreateSite(...)). Once the site is created we can then use the client
object model to assign the necessary permissions and make any other changes
we need to the webs etc. Using the PowerShell scripts may have been a last
resort, but realised that you needed to use the server object model which we
want to avoid. We'll make a note of your suggestions Nathan.

Thanks again.

Steve