Kirsten,

Our DBAs considered and rejected sequential GUIDs.

My best advice is don't solve half the problem :-)

If you are using the latest Visual Studio database tools then rewriting the
solution may not be as onerous as you fear.

Finding all references to the single key and replacing them with two key
references would be well within the capabilities of the tooling.

noonie