Greetings Stuart,

We use Visual Studio database projects and generate change scripts from
database compare. Please take the time to look at the SSDT package
available for VS 2010 (Default for VS 2012).

As for managing compatibility, with application versions, we've yet to find
an ideal solution... but we're still looking :-)

noonie