You and Tony are the first people I have met who think that CVC is a good idea
or somehow normal or okay compared with what we have today.

No – please don’t conflate Tony’s opinion with mine.

I think we should build an FTTP network, because that’s where the rest of the
world appears to be going, if starting from scratch. I don’t really care much
about the implementation details – I’ll let others who know more about the
issue figure that out. You say CVC is a bad idea – fine, I’m happy to accept
that.

Strategically, FTTP is the best way forward IMHO. And nothing we’ve seen in the
past 30+ years indicates that we won’t find more incredibly useful things to do
with more compute power, more storage, more bandwidth or better ways to gather,
manipulate and integrate data.

Strategy ---> Architecture (Bus & Tech) ---> Design (inc technical,  financial
models, operations)

    ^
                                                      ^
  Ken
                                     David & Tony

We’re talking about two completely different things. The cost model is mostly
implementation detail. If a future government wanted to change it, they could
very easily. It might cost $10bn or $20bn or whatever, but government’s spend
that sort of money all the time – some new submarines for the Navy, or Parental
Leave schemes, or small business tax write-offs. I don’t want to sound clichéd,
but “it’s just money” – it’s something that can be changed pretty rapidly given
financing and political will. Deploying an FTTN is the complete opposite – not
something that can be changed relatively quickly – it’s something  we’ll be
locked into for decades.

Cheers
Ken