All

I'm trying to find the most optimal way of protecting video content in an
asp.net app. We have an app that displays video from an IIS streaming media
server *that is separate from our main web server*. Some of the video is
publicly available, some of it is subscriber content. There are different
levels of subscriber (so higher levels get more video than lower levels).
We want to be able to protect the subscriber content somehow.

All video is going to be linked to via a HTML 5 <video /> tag. We want to
stop subscribers from copying the URL of subscriber content from the page
source and sharing it around over the internet.

I thought about writing a HTTP Handler that intercepts the requests and
deals with authorisation. This would take the form of something like "
http://mysite.com/getvideo.ashx?ID=xxxxxx";. If they're not authenticated
and authorised it would bounce them to some sort of "not authorised" page.
This would stop link theft, but I am not sure if we'd get the benefits of
the streaming media server by doing this.

Would love to hear your thoughts if you've been down this road.

Cheers

Grant