From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com]
On Behalf Of Greg Keogh
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2014 2:09 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: [OT] Password hash cracking

Folks, in Bruce Schneier's latest newsletter
<https://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-1403.html>  there is a section at the
end where he discusses the vulnerability of passwords. One of the links is
to this interesting and frightening article:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/how-crackers-make-minced-meat-out-of
-your-passwords/

The hashes in this cracking test were made with plain old MD5, but even
ignoring that, it's a sobering reminder of the progress in guessing and
cracking hashed passwords. I was surprised to learn that salting the hashes
doesn't offer much defence. I was amazed that they were using GPUs for
hashing and a graph shows that they're faster than CPUs ... is that
possible? After this I think the lessons are:

* Schneier suggests you make passwords out of pieces of words and sentences
to avoid predictable formats.

* Use a more recent and computationally intensive hasher.

* Don't let anyone steal your hashes.

* Don't store the whole hash (I learned in Russinovich's book that msv1_0
<http://dll.paretologic.com/detail.php/msv1_0> .dll only stores half a
user's hash in the registry).

Greg K