I've been reading some of the opinions from pundits in the IT press, such as
Mary Jo Foley [1
<http://www.zdnet.com/windows-threshold-more-on-microsofts-plan-to-win-over-
windows-7-users-7000031070/> ]. In this quote, she's discussing the next
Windows OS - assumed to be for 3 distinct platforms: desktop/laptop, 2-in-1
devices like Surface Pro, and tablet/phone. "Threshold" or Windows 9 are
used interchangeably for the next Windows release after 8.1.1.

The Threshold OS will look and work differently based on hardware type.

Users running Threshold on a desktop/laptop will get a SKU, or version, that
puts the Windows Desktop (for running Win32/legacy apps) front and center.
Two-in-one devices, like the Lenovo Yoga or Surface Pro, will support
switching between the Metro-Style mode and the Windowed mode, based on
whether or not keyboards are connected or disconnected.

The combined Phone/Tablet SKU of Threshold won't have a Desktop environment
at all, but still will support apps running side by side, my sources are
reconfirming. This "Threshold Mobile" SKU will work on ARM-based Windows
Phones (not just Lumias), ARM-based Windows tablets and, I believe,
Intel-Atom-based tablets.

One of Microsoft's primary missions with Threshold is to try to undo the
usability mistakes made with Windows 8 for those who prefer and/or are stuck
with devices that are not touch-first and for which keyboard/mouse use is of
central importance.

A sensible enough vision, if true - certainly it is more palatable from a
user's point of view (there are numerous articles that point out that
desktop / tablet / phone devices are used differently, for different
purposes - by the same individual, who may be predisposed towards on or
other platform).

And I think this insight or "realisation" by Microsoft (if that is what it
is, as MJF and other media pundits like to say) may permit developers to
focus more clearly on applications appropriate to these reasonably distinct
Windows platforms.

The Mary Jo Foley article is short, and of course has to throw in some of
the attention-getting criticisms (Vista, start menu, etc) but this and other
articles bring into focus some of the issues that forthcoming APIs need to
address to bring this vision to reality.

  _____

Ian Thomas
Victoria Park, Western Australia