From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of David Burstin
Sent: Tuesday, 9 February 2016 4:06 PM
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Subject: Re: SQL foreign key question

On 9 February 2016 at 16:02, Greg Low (罗格雷格博士)
<g...@greglow.com<mailto:g...@greglow.com>> wrote:
You often see tables referring to themselves (due to some sort of hierarchical
data) but having a column refer to itself seems at best pointless, at worst
silly.

For me the bigger question is how this actually works. Does the sql engine just
decide to ignore the constraint because it is so obviously dumb? If so, am I
the only one bothered by that? I would have actually preferred if no records
could be added to the table, because at least then I know that the engine is
respecting my constraints.

And reason #3723923 why I won’t ever use such a visual table designer.

Dr Greg Low

1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410<tel:%2B61%20419201410> mobile│
+61 3 8676 4913<tel:%2B61%203%208676%204913> fax
SQL Down Under | Web: www.sqldownunder.com<http://www.sqldownunder.com/>