I found it! ...

DBCC SHRINKFILE(mydatabase_log, 1)

This reduced the 140MB to 3MB, not quite as good as I hoped, but much
better. I don't yet know what this command actually does. The advice in
dozens of top search web articles is really verbose and misleading

Why on earth is the LDF so big anyway in simple mode?! Once a transaction
is complete, isn't that it and it's forgotten? I know log/journal files are
required for historical recovery, but how than that much space be used for
anything useful?

 -- *GK*