I used HotDog back in 1996 or something cray cray like that. Then I went to
HomeSite and then I made a wrong turn somewhere and did
Coldfusion/DHTML/Java ... it defined me in a lot of ways.

As for Tech Debt, the problem or issue with this entire JavaScript / Web
mediocrity or bust is nothing really advances other than shortcuts to solve
already solved issues. We've not really moved the needle forward we just
obfuscated the stench better, as when you look at the web today vs even
when Plugins were all the rage, at least the plugins forced the world into
a different gear instead of this ongoing "natural" we seemed to be in. Oh
but its different now as we shifted the boundaries a little and made the
browser the plugin (hows that working out btw).

Developer maturity is now reduced to "*here's the latest flavour we
conjured today to its best to abstract you from thinking about JavaScript
its purest form instead we're gonna just make up some attributes to bolt
onto your DOM/Node structure and you just have to guess along with us as we
progress this forward*"

I'm not jaded about the web, but I feel JavaScript / Node etc is the
digital herpes of internets. Outbreaks occur every 3-4 years and still no
cure. Ok.. i'm jaded ;D

Reliance on event based layout systems may have been a great idea when CPU
was a variable to factor into our existence but if we can all move forward
to a FPS model, whereby we firstly work to a "how many things do i need to
do to prepare for a visual frame change" whilst also making some sweet love
to an async / yield discipline to discreet work...that'd greeaat..

Next comes Screen targeting and this weird game of UX Tetris whereby dev
teams place "user experience" onto a pedestal up until the point where
Responsive vs Adaptive wars break out, then its reverting back to
"developer knows best" response(s)... again...

I'm just saying... if Serverside / Client-side JavaScript is still the best
idea of the day, what was the worst?

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes