I think you're the first person that has brought up the desire to change
databases in the last 10 years! Virtually no one ever changes relational
database management systems these days once the decision has been made.

Having the business logic in the database also tends to get around issues
with archaic environmental processes that require a massive effort to
redeploy an application but virtually a days notice to update a stored proc
via a script. Not saying that's right, but each environment has its own
challenges.

Those sort of deadlocking issues don't go away just because of moving to
the middle tier, and in fact, it can be worse. Either they don't bother
with transactions when they are needed, or when a transaction is used, even
less people care about update order.

We are using angular via webapi. Everything method is a method on a
controller, which calls a service, which calls a Repo (fake or real) which
is where the data source is supposed to be switched. Mapping happens in the
repo when retrieving data from the database. But whether you are mapping
via AutoMapper or doing your own mapping, there is still a significant
overhead in performing the mapping. I've also used Dapper, which is pretty
good, and on par with writing your own ADO layer, and I've seen PetaPoco in
there.

I've had exceptionally fast calls that call the controller, which executes
the service, repo then stored proc, and returns the stored proc results all
the way back to the controller to be returned to angular without mapping.
The controller interface operates as a "natural" boundary (just like the
interface between the C# engine and the database is another "natural"
boundary). Doing the same thing using a few LINQ statements, performing
updates, then returning mapped results takes seconds longer, hence my
concern.