In the past I have used VMWare VMs but usually avoided them due to how much
slower they run compared to bare metal OS.

Until a few years ago that is. Those new M.2 drives came out and I bought two
of them, with a PCIExpress card to mount them (and not get SATA bottlenecks).
Put the two drives in Raid 0 setup (OS level was fine) and put my whole VM
directory onto that SSD.

My goodness the performance boost was incredible. My first setup like this got
the max reads up to around 2200 Mb/sec (roughly, going by memory here).
Compared to the SSD my desktop had it in, it was doing about 280Mb/sec so close
to ten times faster.

It makes a difference.

My current M.2 drives are the Samsung 960 Pros. About to swap out two smaller
drives (256Gb each) for two larger ones in my new laptop. (2 x 1Tb)

Glen mentioned defragging hard drives so that hints no SSD's being used there.
Greg, what kind of drive is your VM on? Move to SSD/M.2 even if you fix the
Windows 10 speed issue you have. Even if it costs you. When you use this stuff
day in and day out, it's worth spending a bit of money for some sanity (and
time!!).

cheers

Stephen